Saturday, March 6, 2010

lucky number 13

I know this is a tad too late. but my little Christmas tree is still in my living room. That makes this perfectly applicable. Favorite Albums of 2009!

1. Passion Pit-Manners

This was the only music I listened to for probably 3 weeks straight. I adore them and their hyper awesome songs about love and the end of the world. They paint beautiful imagery and make great use of synthesizers by enhancing their music, not burying it.


2. Fever Ray-Fever Ray

Karen Dreijer just screams cool. I am a big fan of the Knife so when I saw she was recording a solo album I got really excited. She makes her music an art form. She twists her voice into something creepy and hypnotic. Some of the songs I actually don't like listening to if I'm home alone..they're just that creepy. The videos that accompany the songs are also beautiful. They match up exactly with what you picture in the songs.



3. The Antlers-Hospice

I unfortunately, did not get this album until many months after it was released, but I made up for it in listening time. The album is a concept album about the frontman's relationship with someone close to him (girlfriend,wife,sister, no one knows) who dies of cancer. It would make more sense if it was a romantic relationship as there is one song about a pregnancy and them debating what to do. It is a beautiful and heart-wrenching album with a lush and sorrowful sound. You can literally hear his pain through the songs.


4. Laura Veirs-July Flame

The first time I hear Laura was when she opened for the Decemberists back in September. I immediately fell in love with the folky sound and beautiful lyrics. She paints beautiful pictures with her songs and they make you feel comfy and relaxed. It kind of feels like saturated sunlight or a clear and starry summer sky. I picked purchasing her album instead of the merch of the band I was there to see. As a plus for buying it then I actually got it 5 months early and discounted. What a treat.


5. Timber Timbre-Timber Timbre

Timber Timbre is great. A few years ago I may not have liked them. The sound is very soulful and dark. Think New Orleans out in the bayou. And voodoo and zombies and other spooks. It's just so calming and different. They had me at "I was a spook for you, another ghoul."


6. Yeah Yeah Yeahs-It's Blitz

I was super excited for the new YYY album, especially since they hadn't come out with anything new in a while. The first song I heard was while I was watching the video for "zero". Back shot of Karen O slipping into a leather jacket and then singing about putting your leather on was enough for me. Just kidding, there are a lot of other things about this album that I like. I feel like they took it down a notch with this one. Skeletons and Runaway are pretty slow-paced. The album is a little more dance and a little less rough.


7. Bat For Lashes-"Two Suns"

As soon as I heard her first single, "Daniel", I knew I would need to get her new album. Khan is a master at what she does. This album goes along with her duel persona, (not Sasha Fierce) Pearl and the sort of struggle she has with this duel persona. The vocals are lush and the songs feature many different sounds.


8. Phoenix- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

One number: 1901. This song opened up a lot of doors for this French Band. The album is energetic and light. If you want something to brighten up a car ride or a dull day, let Amadeus do that for you.


9. The Dead Weather- Horehound

Alison Mosshart! Alison Mosshart! If you want to feel as B.A as possible let this album do that for you. The Dead Weather is actually Jack White's new band, and includes Alison of the Kills and members from the Raconteurs. It's very very rock. Guitars, Drums, Bass. If I were to give you a definition of "real" rock in the modern day I would definitely say The Dead Weather, hands down.


10. The XX- XX

The XX released their first album and generated a lot of recognition right off the bat. Beautiful vocals, beautiful lyrics, beautiful sounds. I feel the best place to be while listening to the album is somewhere urban and deserted at night. Not that I personally have done this, but I feel like I want to while this is playing.


11. Bellarive- The Being Human Project

Bellarive is actually the worship band for The Element (youth group I volunteer with). They are all really great people and have a lot of talent and a lot of love for our Saviour. They're definitely revolutionizing Christian Culture. Itunes doesn't even classify them as Christian music because they don't "sound" like typical Christian music. They are actually staring to generate a lot of interest from the music industry. They just officially formed last year and already things are happening. It's beautiful and it's real.


12. St. Vincent- Actor

St. Vincent is a lovely person that makes lovely songs. Her voice is very distinct and her music is classy.


13. The Middle East- The Recordings of The Middle East

This band is from Australia. I was so happy about the release of this EP. I actually had the song, "Blood" for a while from a free CD. I played it over and over. It's so pretty..I just feel like I should be in a cabin up in the mountains when I listen to this. Once the EP was released and the lyrics became readily available I realized just how much more I loved them. The music is beautiful enough to love if you can't understand a word or two. But man, knowing all of what they say really makes it better. Very melancholy and rustic.
Favorite verse that makes me cry every time:
"older father, weary soul, you'll drive
back to the home you made on the mountainside
with that ugly, terrible thing
those papers for divorce
and a lonely ring
a lonely ring
sit on your porch
and pluck your strings
and you'll find somebody you can blame
and you'll follow the creek that runs out into the sea
and you'll find the peace of the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers