Friday, November 20, 2009

Favorite things of the week

I am loving some Grizzly Bear, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee, and homemade CD's.

I was mesmerized the first time I saw this video on Monday. I never really understood the hype over Grizzly Bear, they just didn't seem that fantastic to me. The two songs I have just seemed typical indie chill. Once I heard "Ready, Able", I NEEDED the whole piece of Grizzly Bear art (the new album, Veckatimest) . What I have realized is Grizzly Bear frontman, Ed Droste, has an extremely lush almost trance inducing voice that is close to being supernatural. The backgrounds would play perfectly into some sort of Dali/Wonderland/Mars landscape. The video looks like some possessed play-dough acid trip. It's a little unsettling and a little lonely feeling, but I can't help but be inspired by it. Not to mention the clay heads on the pedestals would make excellent paper weights.



Nylon's November issue I had to go out and get myself. My subscription ran out without any warning, so I have to survive 4-6 weeks before I can receive a new Nylon in the mail. Luckily, I found the November (I <3 America) issue yesterday, and have since devoured its pages. I wasn't too thrilled to see Blake Lively on the cover. She dresses cool and all, but doesn't really seem that interesting. However, reading her interview made me realize that she is pretty cool. In the article they discussed her new movie, "The Private Lives of Pippa" which I had the pleasure to watch today. It is a mix between bored, wealthy housewife (her in her older years) and messed up hard-partying screw up (her younger years). There are also a great deal of psychological issues that spike the movie with bits of craziness (she is a sleepwalker, married to a man more than two times her age, and daughter of a Stepford wife drug addict). Overall, I enjoyed it. It has a very dream-like feel to it, and you never really know what to expect. If you're looking for something deep, but not too deep, tragic, but not tear-jerking, this is a good choice. Not to mention, the 80's attire she wears in her younger years is pretty awesome.


I was also very happy to receive a CD that my boyfriend made for me. Just wanted to say. I don't have the entire track listing yet, but was happy to recognize The Mars Volta, Jens Lekman, Mates of State, and ApSci. It has been on repeat in my car. Oh, and our 8 months is this Sunday. Exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers